We had planned a company wide meeting earlier this week. It was this morning. In between the initial plan and the meeting, John Marshall completed a deal to partner with Louisville City Soccer. So, instead of just announcing the sale at our meeting, we felt the need to act like the soccer fans we are quickly becoming. John and I visited the LouCIty offices and store on Thursday to gather some necessary props for our announcement. The entire company was grateful that John and VP of Sales Michael Gabhart did not follow CEO Scott Diamond’s suggestion to go shirtless and paint their chests. We had a lot of fun with the announcement and we are very much looking forward to attending games the rest of the season and (for some of us) learning more about the game. If you haven’t attended a match yet, I’m told it’s a whole lot of fun. Our whole company will be at the match against Cincinnati on August 12th. Should be a lot of fun. I had a little help from LouCity’s marketing director, Pat Denbow, in creating a trivia game for our meeting. Here are some fun terms and facts that many of you may already know.
Fun Facts about Louisville City Soccer
- 3 goals by the same player in a single game is called a hat trick.
- 2 goals by the same player in a single game is called a brace.
- The wonderful fans of Louisville City are called The Coopers.
- Coopers are people who make barrels (for bourbon).
- Call it a Pitch instead of a field; “It’s great to be down on the pitch and see the action.”
- Boots instead of cleats; “I got a new pair of boots to play in today.”
- Table instead of standings; “We sit 3rd on the table in the Eastern Conference.”
- Kits instead of uniforms; “The new LouCity kits look great on the players.”
- Nil instead of zero and Draw instead of tie; “The game ended in a nil-nil draw.”
- Match instead of game; “Our next home match is Jul 29.”
So there! Hopefully, you learned something from this post. And GO Louisville City.
And by the way, Mike Gabhart stayed in character all day, through 3 meetings and a lunch meeting. At 4:30, he’s still embracing the crazy.